AU is committed to provide effective and efficient services at a distance. We facilitate equitable access to education for students with disabilities. Exam accommodations provide access when functional or cognitive barriers exist in standard assessment technology and methods. Exam accommodations facilitate the student’s functional ability to meet course outcomes.
Accessibility Services requires 20 days notice between an exam request date and the write date in order to process the exam with needed accommodations. Students are notified when an exam request is received and when it has been processed. Only then should you change any invigilation arrangements.
Many exam accommodations do not require additional academic approval and have minimal impact on evaluation procedures and requirements.
The following accommodations are included in this category:
- Location or environment (i.e. private room, distraction-free, natural lighting)
- Support aids (ergonomic chair, footrest, pillow, ear plugs)
- Health related supports (drinks, snacks, medications)
- Extended time
- support services (reader, scribe, personal aid, sign language interpreter)
- Alternate format of exam (oral, braille, word processor, paper)
- Use of assistive technologies or literacy supports such as a screen reader or paper dictionary.
Some accommodations may take longer than 20 days to arrange. They require prior discussion with Accessibility Services and approval of the appropriate academic (usually the Course Coordinator) as such accommodations may necessitate revisions to the structure of the exam, format of questions, delivery, or evaluation procedures . Additional medical verification may be requested to support an accommodation outlining the associated need due to the impact of a disability.
Accessibility Services will seek to recommend accommodations or find optional solutions that provide an alternative means for a student with a disability to fairly demonstrate the acquired knowledge and skills specified in the course learning outcomes.
The following examples of accommodations are included in this category:
- Exam structure - split the exam, revise the order of questions,
- Exam delivery - days/time to write an exam. Alternate exam delivery, other exam platform
- Question types – multiple choice, essay,
- Evaluation procedure - oral exam, take-home exam, paper
These examples of accommodations are not all inclusive due to the individual nature of accommodations that may be required. In addition, it is important to understand that Accessibility Services also has a responsibility to ensure integrity and security of exams.